Bean and vegetable salads are a staple in our home and a real life-saver on those days when I’m feeling particularly lazy in the kitchen.
As you may know, here at Don’t Feed After Midnight HQ it’s only 2 of us but, every time I make something like the recipe I’m sharing today, I still like to prepare 4 portions and store any leftovers in the fridge – that’s two meals sorted in less than 30 minutes!
Speaking of which, if you don’t get the chance to spend much time cooking, simply making twice as much as what you normally require for one meal is one of the easiest ways to eating healthier and enjoying homemade food without all the fuss.
Now back to today’s recipe: butter beans need kicking up a notch. Fact. Without any interesting flavours, they taste pretty bland so here is where the lemon juice and cumin come into play.
- 4 small courgettes, cut into slices the thickness of a one pound coin
- 2 410g cans of butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 300g of baby plum tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g of giant couscous
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- The juice of a lemon
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the couscous according to packet instructions then transfer into a large mixing bowl.
- Let’s grill the courgettes. Heat a cast-iron griddle pan and grill the courgettes in batches, turning often until charred and just tender. Once cooked, add the courgettes to the couscous.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss using a spoon. Best served cold.
Got an interesting and quick way to use up a tin of beans? Share what works for you and your family by leaving a comment below!