You wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve heard the statement “salads are boring” or “salads are just rabbit food”. That’s generally until people either see what I tend to bring with me to work or see pictures of what I’ve been eating on various social networks (yes, I am one of those annoying people who post pictures of their meals on Facebook!).
By all means, they’re very humble bowls of good food and really don’t require amazing cooking skills to put together and yet….when they see my lunchbox people’s perception goes from “tasteless rabbit food” to “I wouldn’t mind a bowl of that”.
So why am I telling you all this? I guess I’m just trying to show you how eating well and feeling good following a great meal is not just for those who love cooking, eat kale all day long or can afford to spend a bomb on fancy ingredients.
And not only that.
If you have had the chance to read a bit about me, then you’ll know that whilst I’m not here to discuss the politics of vegetarianism, one of the biggest goals of this blog is to help others discover how amazingly delicious vegetarian cooking can be.
Without further ado, I can tell you that after having this black bean, avocado & sweet potato salad earlier this week I was in a very happy place. Perhaps I’ll come across as a bit of a nutter, but you know when certain foods really really make you smile and you want to tell the world how amazingly good that flavour combination is? Ok, it could be a food blogger thing but, in all honesty, this is one of the most delicious bowls of food I’ve eaten in a while.
It’s no secret that sweet potatoes and black beans is an ingredient combination that I adore (as seen in my Slow cooker sweet potato & black bean goulash). It’s filling, comforting and totally wholesome. To these, I added perfectly ripe avocado chunks, some sweetcorn and a generous amount of chopped fresh coriander.
By the way, the easiest way to check whether an avocado is ripe is to give it a gentle squeeze near the stem tip. A ripe and ready-to-eat avocado will yield to gentle pressure.
I dressed this salad with a seriously good homemade dressing made with lime juice, olive oil, agave nectar, black pepper and a pinch of salt. So so nice, I just cannot wait for you to try it!
Hot and zesty, here’s everything you need to know to prepare this black bean, avocado & sweet potato salad with lime dressing:
- 6 small sweet potatoes (approximately 700g), peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 400g cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 240g can of sweetcorn, drained
- 2 medium ripe avocados, cubed
- 2 handfuls of chopped fresh coriander
- The juice of 2 limes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Place the sweet potato in a large mixing bowl and add a tablespoon of olive oil, the paprika and the cayenne pepper. Mix well to ensure that the potatoes are evenly coated then transfer onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for approximately 30 minutes until soft.
- Place the black beans, the sweetcorn, the avocado and the chopped coriander in a large salad bowl and tip in the roasted sweet potato chunks.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the lime juice with the olive oil, the agave nectar and seasoning to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss to mix. Serve with warm wholemeal pitta bread.