Couscous is one of those foods that is never missing from my kitchen cupboard. Although I often use it as a rice substitute, salads are definitely my favourite way to use it.
As the first couscous salad recipe I publish here on the blog (there will be many more I promise!), I’ve decided to keep it simple and share a recipe I’ve been preparing time and time again for many years.
This delicious salad combines couscous and lovely chargrilled aubergine slices with the saltiness of feta cheese, all accompanied by the fresh taste of parsley for the perfect combination of flavours.
That was a bit of a mouthful but I love love love this recipe and I’m actually making myself hungry just writing about it…and it’s only 10:30 in the morning!
So before I’m tempted to go downstairs and make it again (we had it for lunch yesterday!), let me first write up the recipe so that you can enjoy this bowl of goodness too!
- 200g couscous (dry weight)
- 400ml boiling water
- 1 large aubergine, cut into slices the thickness of a pound coin
- 200g block of feta cheese, crumbled
- Extra virgin oil to drizzle
- A generous handful of fresh, chopped flat leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Let’s start by cooking the couscous: put the couscous in a large heatproof bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Stir to evenly moisten the couscous then cover the bowl with a plate or cling film. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- While the couscous is cooking, heat a cast-iron griddle pan and grill the aubergine slices, turning often until charred and just tender. Once cooked, allow them to cool down slightly then cut into small strips.
- Uncover the couscous and use a fork to fluff up the grains.
- Add the grilled aubergine, the crumbled feta and the chopped parsley to the bowl of couscous and mix well. Drizzle with olive oil and season with freshly ground black pepper. Best served cold.
If you’re making this in summer, try grilling the aubergines on the BBQ for extra flavour.
Although this salad is very tasty as it is, you can add more veggie goodness by mixing in other grilled vegetables such as courgettes and red peppers. I’ve done it many times and it works beautifully! Load with extra veggies and leave out the feta for a vegan alternative.
As I mentioned above, this salad is best served cold so it’s a perfect option for a lovely work lunch: simply prepare the night before and store in the fridge in a sealed container.
Are you as obsessed with couscous as I am? Please use the form below to tell me all about your best creation!