More often than not, simple food is best.
So today I’m sharing my recipe for the most delicious bowl of pasta you could ever make in 20 minutes or so: spaghetti loaded with balsamic roasted cherry tomatoes and Kalamata olives.
In terms of Mediterranean flavours, it simply doesn’t get better than this – trust me on this one!
I had some leftover Kalamata olives from last week when I prepared my Mediterranean-style chickpea burgers and last Saturday I wanted to prepare a quick lunch to enjoy with the husband before heading to the cinema (The Hunger Games – Mockingjay Part 1 was brilliant!). I always prefer to go and watch a movie with a full belly so that I’m not tempted by popcorn and various snacks! We’re trying to save some money as we’ll be looking for a new house in the New Year so spending a fortune on cinema snacks is definitely a no-no.
So this humble yet mega-tasty recipe was born – the perfect pasta dish to add to your weeknight meal repertoire!
- 400g cherry tomatoes
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- 300g spaghetti
- 150g Kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
- 2 handfuls of chopped fresh basil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Place the cherry tomatoes on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, cook the spaghetti according to package instructions in lightly salted boiling water, then drain well.
- Transfer the spaghetti into a large pan, add the roasted cherry tomatoes and any liquid from the roasting tray, then stir in the chopped olives and basil. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and balsamic vinegar and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes to bring all the flavours together.
- Serve hot with a mixed salad.