More comfort food here on Don’t Feed After Midnight today with an easy and scrummy leek, mushroom and cheddar pasta bake.
Although I do like recipes that involve many interesting ingredients, I also like to share some basic yet delicious recipes that can be thrown together in very little time.
One of the main reasons why I started this blog last month was that I genuinely wanted to help people learn how to cook more things for scratch and realise that it’s a lot easier than they think.
I’m certainly no saint but the amount of processed foods that I see families put in their trolleys is frightening – especially when it comes to really basic recipes that everyone should really be able to prepare. Shall we talk about frozen baked potatoes?
I’m all for convenience and it’s good to have some of what I like to call “emergency supplies” for a day when there is just no time but it’s when that becomes the norm that obviously something’s not quite right.
Anyway, rant over – I just wanted to say that I like to keep it real and publish recipes for everyone, even if they don’t appear as fancy as other bloggers’ – my rule of thumb is: if it’s yummy, then it’s bloggable!
If you’ve only ever used ready-made sauces for your pasta bakes, I hope this recipe will make you see how easy it is to make them from scratch. You boil the pasta and, in the meantime, you sautée some vegetables in a little olive oil. You add the drained pasta to the vegetables and, by adding part of the cheese to the pasta instead of just sprinkling it on top, you give the bake that gooey and indulgent consistency without the fuss of making the white sauce. Transfer everything into an oven-proof dish, top with cheese and bake until the cheese melts. So simple!
So here is another easy recipe that you can throw into your weeknight meal repertoire. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 400g leeks, thinly sliced
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 240g pasta (I used wholemeal)
- 200g strong cheddar, grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions in lightly salted boiling water, then drain well.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil over medium heat and gently cook the leeks until soft. Then add the mushrooms and continue cooking until they are cooked through. Add a pinch of nutmeg and season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta and half of the cheese to the vegetables and mix well. Transfer to a baking dish, top with the remaining grated cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and enjoy right away!
What are your favourite vegetables to use in pasta bakes?