OMG – I don’t often say OMG about my own recipes but, seriously, today I have died and found myself in food heaven!
My husband bought some yummy bagels from our local bakery this morning but, with a billion things to do for work, we both forgot to have them for breakfast. Not like me to forget to eat but it does happen every now and then!
So, to make the most of their freshness, I decided they’d be on the menu for a quick lunch and, wow, I actually impressed myself.
Rich, creamy and packed-full of flavour, I can honestly say this is one of the best filled bagels I have ever had and I can genuinely see myself making this recipe again. A billion times in fact.
I reckon that the filling would work very well on toasted granary bread too but I shall give it a try and get back to you on that one.
Dill is one of those herbs that still confuses me a little. I bought some to add to scrambled eggs at the weekend but, aside from eggs, I don’t really use it much in my cooking as I’m not really sure what it goes well with.
But one thing is certain: dill definitely goes well with cream cheese and avocado!
The next step will be to learn how to make bagels at home but for now let me share how to prepare this deli-style bagel sandwich…
Serves: 2 bagels
- 2 plain or sesame seed bagels
- 2 tbsp of cream cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 medium ripe avocado, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the dill cream cheese by mixing the two ingredients in a small bowl and seasoning with freshly ground black pepper.
- Toast the bagels then spread the cream cheese on the bottom halves and top with the avocado slices. Season with a pinch of sea salt and more black pepper, top with the remaining halves and enjoy right away!
Right – readers, I need your help! What goes well with dill, aside from eggs? Also, do you have a tried and tested recipe for homemade bagels? Let me know using the comment form below, thank you!