Welcome back to another instalment of my meal prepping series. Last week life got in the way so I didn’t get round to post about what we had for our lunches. It was mainly leftovers of this amazing Orzo Pasta Salad, the last of this Red Lentil & Yellow Split Pea Tomato Curry from the freezer and a cheese toastie or two (keeping it real!). So nothing new that deserved a brand new blog post really!
But this week I’ve been back on track with a moreish Mixed Grain Superfood Salad packed full of the good stuff.
As usual, if you fancy joining me in my journey to make lunchtime healthy and exciting, don’t forget to check out my Vegetarian Meal Prep for Beginners guide where I share my method and lots of tips to get you started.
Mixed grain superfood salad meal prep
I’m not one for following trends for the sake of it, but this Mixed Grain Superfood Salad isn’t just tasty. It’s also incredibly good for you, combining nutrient rich ingredients in a bowl of food that will leave you satisfied without feeling sluggish and stop you from reaching for sugary snacks in the afternoon.
It is truly a lunch option that leaves you fuller for longer and, yes, you can totally polish your halo after eating it!
5 ingredients for Superfood Salad perfection:
- Roasted sweet potatoes – they taste amazing and they’re an excellent source of vitamins, fibre and other nutrients. Need to say more?
- Spinach – again, it’s packed full of vitamins (especially vitamin K, which is important to maintain bone health) and other nutrients such as iron and folate. It’s also super low in calories which makes is a great vegetable to bulk up your lunch with if you’re aiming for weight loss or maintaining your weight.
- Puy lentils – packed-full of complex carbohydrates (the good stuff!) and protein, they’re what I like to call a food of the gods. They add a lovely texture to this salad and they’re very filling.
- Mixed grains – I used a mix of wheatberries, red rice, freekeh, black barley and quinoa called “Glorious Grains” by Merchant Gourmet. Nutritionally speaking, they’re da bomb. Low in fat, high in protein and good carbs. I’m not one to diss white rice and pasta, but I do like to mix things up and try to eat a wide range of different foods as much as possible.
- Extra virgin olive oil – as the cornerstone of the Mediterranean diet, this “liquid gold” is by far the best ingredient you can use to dress your salads. Yep, it’s high in calories but a little goes a long way but it’s loaded with antioxidants and monounsaturated fat (the good kind).
This moreish Mixed Grain Superfood Salad is packed full of the good stuff: roasted sweet potato, spinach, puy lentils and glorious mixed grains. It will leave you satisfied without feeling sluggish and stop you from reaching for sugary snacks in the afternoon.
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 250g packs of ready-to-eat mixed grains (I used Merchant Gourmet’s Glorious Grains)
2 250g packs of ready-to-eat puy lentils
200g fresh spinach
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C degrees.
- Place the sweet potato on a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes until soft.
- To assemble your meal prep containers, evenly divide the spinach, roasted sweet potato, mixed grains and puy lentils among 4 containers, storing a little olive oil separately until ready to serve.
Great quality glass storage containers: microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe.
Use these small pots to store dressings, sauces and dips.
The best leak-proof containers on the market if you want to use plastic containers instead of glass.
Don’t forget to save this recipe to your favourite Pinterest board for later!