I have been eating a lot of butternut squash lately. I always try and vary what I eat as much as possible but once I’m at the local market or supermarket at this time of the year I just cannot resist the wonderful winter squashes. Oh, and avocados – they always seem to call my name too and always find their way into my basket.
So earlier today I decided to combine the two with some fresh rocket and giant couscous for a healthy and yummy salad dressed with wonderfully sweet balsamic glaze. So good I could genuinely eat another bowl right now! Whoever says salads are boring will be sent to the naughty step!
If you’ve never tried giant couscous before, it’s something that I highly recommend you add to your to-try list. Also known as Israeli or pearl couscous, this amazing ingredient is made from semolina and wheat flour, then toasted which means that you get that lovely roasted flavour when you cook it.
I love to use it in salads as the granules retain their shape and texture, therefore making salads more interesting and filling.
I can easily find giant couscous in most supermarkets around here (generally on the same shelf as regular couscous or whole foods), however, if you struggle to track it down you can use regular couscous too.
Making this butternut squash, rocket & avocado salad couldn’t be easier and the end result is rather delicious! Here’s the recipe…Print
A healthy and yummy salad dressed with a delicious sweet balsamic glaze.
- 1 medium butternut squash, halved, deseeded and cut into 1.5/2cm thick slices
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Salt and black pepper
- 160g dried giant couscous
- 180g fresh rocket salad
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 small avocados, chopped into large pieces
- Balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 225C. Place the butternut squash on a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast in the oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- While the butternut squash is in the oven, cook the giant couscous according to package instructions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Mix the vegetables with the giant couscous and, just before serving, dress the salad with good quality olive oil and a generous drizzle of balsamic glaze or vinegar. Enjoy right away or keep refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Suitable for vegans
Do you like giant couscous as much as I do? Do you have a recipe you wish to share?