Not so long ago I asked you on my Facebook page whether you’d be interested in me writing a few articles on my meal prep routine, i.e. how I quickly put together a couple of days’ worth of lunches in just an hour or two each week. The feedback was a resounding 100% yes.
So, from now on, I’m going to publish a post on my weekly meal prep – it’ll keep me on track with the healthy eating side of things and it’ll be a good opportunity to show you how easy it is.
If you fancy joining me in my journey to make lunchtime exciting, you might also want to take a look at my Vegetarian Meal Prep for Beginners guide where I share my method and lots of tips to get you started.
Brown rice & edamame salad meal prep
With our family holiday fast approaching, I’ve been focusing on eating a little better this week (also to counteract the hazelnut chocolate cheesecake I’m making for Easter. Ahem.) so I decided to keep my meal prep real simple with this Brown Rice & Edamame Salad.
It’s the perfect balance of protein, carbs and fats (you can read more about how to easily put together a balanced meal in my guide) and, although it might look a little boring, it’s really tasty once you mix it all together and add a drizzle of homemade balsamic dressing.
Altogether, it took about 30 minutes to prep these 4 lunches and a lot of it was simply waiting for the brown rice to cook (it feels like it takes forever, doesn’t it?) and the peppers to roast while I chatted to some friends on Whatsapp. So the prep only really took about 10 minutes.
Tips & notes:
– Once you start making your own salad dressings, you’re never going to look back. The best way to mix all the ingredients is to put them in a glass jam jar, pop the lid on and shake to combine. I always recommend you keep any dressing, sauce or dip I use for my meal prep separate from the rest of the food to ensure my lunch doesn’t go soggy. Therefore it’s worth picking up a couple of small pots like these Sistema ones for easy storage.
– I am a huge fan of frozen spinach, it’s an item that is never missing from our freezer and, if you don’t already, you should totally try it too. It’s cheaper than fresh and you don’t risk it going bad at the back of the fridge if you don’t use it right away.
– I’ve become a little addicted to edamame beans recently. Not that I count how many grams of protein I eat, but it’s great to know that I can throw in a tablespoon or two into a salad for a quick plant-based protein boost. They’re super popular at the moment so you can grab a bag from most supermarkets.
Brown rice, edamame, spinach and roasted red pepper with a scrumptious balsamic dressing for a perfectly balanced lunch.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C degrees.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook the brown rice according to packet instructions.
- In the meantime, place the peppers on a roasting tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and roast for about 20 minutes until soft.
- While the rice and the peppers are cooking, follow the packaging instructions to cook the edamame (on the hob or microwave, unless you have purchased them pre-cooked) and the frozen spinach (hob or microwave), then drain and set aside.
- Combine the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to make the dressing.
- To assemble your meal prep containers, evenly divide all ingredients among 4 meal prep containers, storing the dressing separately until ready to serve.
- Suitable for vegans.
- These are the meal prep containers and dressing storage pots I use if you’re looking to buy a set.
- You can find out more about my weekly meal prep routine in my practical guide on Vegetarian Meal Prep for Beginners.
- You could use fresh spinach if you wanted to. Go for a large bag as it reduces a lot when cooked.
Great quality glass storage containers: microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe.
Use these small pots to store dressings, sauces and dips.
The best leak-proof containers on the market if you want to use plastic containers instead of glass.
Don’t forget to save this recipe to your favourite Pinterest board for later!